One of the main reasons I haven’t posted a lot on this blog is that the whole process of building the website was quite cumbersome and required a fully configured Ruby environment. Thankfully, Github offers its own Jekyll installation that automatically builds the website and allows people to submit files straight from the browser. So I decided to spend few hours and unshackle myself from the confines of my local and soon-to-be ditched Ubuntu 14.04 installation that hosted necessary tools. The result is, as you can see, a fully working and functionally-equivalent blog, but which I can edit in a browser. In fact, I’m writing this post in Firefox right now.
Of course, migration was not trivial. I had to make multiple changes:
I had to remove lots of plugins written in Ruby, since Github is not going to run arbitrary Ruby code.
Partials and layouts had to be modified to accomodate removed plugins and other differences between my old Octopress and current Jekyll.
I used Compass for compiling SCSS. Since Github doesn’t provide Compass integration, I just run it on my own computer and then upload compiled CSS.
The plugin I missed the most was category pages plugin, which I emulated following the guide at http://www.minddust.com/post/alternative-tags-and-categories-on-github-pages/
I rewrote the category cloud based on https://superdevresources.com/tag-cloud-jekyll/ but I adapted it to use categories as defined in the previous step. I also used the same method to inject category lists in other places.
I also fixed the Google search box, because if I make a query qith two
qparameters and then get redirected from
google.com.pl, then one of the parameters is ignored. I solved it by hardcoding the box to use
I took some time to fix table styling, so that tables don’t look as hideous as they used to.